Will we see more original stories?
In today’s world, the definition of an original story is not about directly and personally discovering something new but more about creating something new from existing material.
Mostly everything is already discovered and is general knowledge. This is the case for the Sci-Fi & Fantasy genre because everything already exists in books, screenplays, short stories and movies.
The point is coming up with ideas using imagination to create new or different characters based on existing stories. Many will not agree but the point is to explore and discover new stories from existing stories which could be based on your experiences and influences in your life.
The idea is not to look for the most popular story but finding your own using your creativity. Successful stories have every detail in place. This is because of the author’s dedication to the story. It may seem a lot of work, going from a book to the big screen, but it will pay off.
Take the Hunger Games and Divergent for example. Both stories have basically the same plot and looked literary like a copy from the other.
Would it have helped if the story was changed: maybe the story could have been played out in another setting or in another timeline? Probably yes. If the stories were engaging enough both could have been more or less equally successful.
Another great example is the similarity between the stories of Harry Potter & the Sorcerer’s Stone and Star Wars. Have you thought about it? You are probably thinking that these 2 stories are completely different right?
The story in the first Harry Potter book follows pretty much the same course as Star Wars. All of the elements of legend and myth are in the story. You have an ordinary boy/man in an ordinary world thrown into extraordinary circumstances in which he must fulfill his destiny.
Let’s take a look at a few more similarities:
Harry Potter vs Luke Skywalker
- Both Harry and Luke are orphans (or at least Luke appears to be in the beginning).
- Neither of them really knows what happened to their parents and they never knew them either.
- Luke and Harry both discover that they have strong potential in magic/the Force as both characters rise above great danger to save their friends.
Voldemort vs The Emperor
- Voldemort and the Emperor both want to rule the world and will do anything to make that happen.
- Both are masters of the Dark Side and have minions to obey them
- In the end, both evil characters were defeated by love.
Professor Dumbledore vs Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Dumbledore is the guardian and mentor of Harry Potter. Obi-Wan is the guardian and mentor for Luke.
- Dumbledore rescued Harry when he was a baby after his encounter with Voldemort and delivered him to Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon. Kenobi rescued Luke and hid him from the Emperor with Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru.
Magic vs The Force
- Only certain special people in the Harry Potter world have the potential to become wizards and witches. It’s the same with the Jedi.
- Nobody believes in magic in Harry Potter’s real world. Most people in the Star Wars Universe don’t believe in the Force.
Hogwarts vs The Jedi Temple
- Hogwarts is the boarding school where young children go to learn magic and become wizards. The Jedi Temple is where young children go to learn about the Force and become Jedi.
- Both places are run by teachers/masters who teach the children their basic lessons.
Magic Wands vs Light-sabers
- In the Harry Potter stories, wizards use magic wands to help them manifest their powers. The Jedi use light-sabers.
- Wands and light-sabers are unique to the individual users.
I could continue with the list but I believe you are getting the idea. Using imagination to create new or different characters based on existing stories can result in great stories. The main focus here is to create something new (a new world, timeline, universe).
Importance of creativity
Original screenplays do exist. Its originality depends on the creativity of the author. Creativity is about finding new paths and views in the storytelling.
For example whole new characters were created for the story of Fantastic Beasts and where to find them. What I imagine that happened is that the author got inspired by the mention of the book of Newt Scamander in the Harry Potter story.
The author could have used the “what if” question: What if we tell a story behind the creation of the book. Just from an element in a story and using imagination characters were created and a new original story was born: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them Screenplay
In addition here are a few titles of original screenplays that in my opinion were very creative and where the movie turned out well:
As long as authors use their imagination to find new ways in storytelling we will see more original screenplays along the way. Further with the increasing use of social media many platforms are created for authors to publish their stories and getting noticed. Do you agree?
What is your take on original screenplays? Does it matter to you if the story is original or not? Feel free to leave your comments.